3 posts / 0 new
Last post
zotlynn
requests to join OG closed group

Christopher Franquiz asked to be let in to our OG closed group. i looked at his profile, saw friends, saw he is local, didn't see much Occupy concerns, but didn't see any spam indicators or violations of our agreements. i did see signs of sales, nothing unusual, not enough to exclude him. i also saw signs of sexism. That's not actually against our agreements unless he brings it abusively into our group, yet i didn't feel right just inflicting him on the rest of us, just in case, nor fully excluding him, either, so i wrote him thie below message:

Hello Christopher. Please tell us a little about yourself, and why you want to be a member at Occupy Gainesville. Then we can give you membership in our Facebook group. Please be advised that our Group is a safe space. We hope to keep it safe for you, so we will not let anybody call you names, post anything that abuses you or your kind, or try to sell you anything. We also keep it a safe space for others, including women, queers, people of color, poor folks, and folks without homes. You will also be expected to keep our space safe for them, not call them names, post anything that abuses them or their kind, or try to sell them anything. OK? Looking forward to hearing from you.
-Zot, one of the admins for Occupy Gainesville.

Similar findings with Cheryl Laurenti, sent identical (but for name) note content.

zotlynn
Suzanne Saylor Green asked to

Suzanne Saylor Green asked to be let in to our OG closed group. i looked at her profile, saw friends, saw she is regional, didn't see much Occupy concerns, but didn't see any violations of our agreements. i did see signs of sales, including membership in several swap groups:
Swip Swap Gainesville, FL
13,613 members
Gainesville Georgia YardSale
6,682 members
Sylvester,Ga. Swap and Shop
3,617 members
Gainesville/Alachua FL Buy Sell Trade
7,356 members
Just in case she wanted to help with Occupy and NOT sell us stuff, i wrote her the below message:

.Hello. We'd like to welcome you to the Occupy Gainesville discussion group. Before you start, please tell us a little about yourself, and why you want to be part of an Occupy group. Then please read our welcome message: https://www.facebook.com/notes/occupy-gainesville/welcome-to-occupy-gain... Please keep our agreements: https://www.facebook.com/notes/occupy-gainesville/agreements-for-occupy-... i see that you are a member of several swap shop groups, and a buy/sell/trade group. Please don't sell, offer, or promote in the Occupy Gainesville discussion group. We don't allow economic activity on our page. Thank you. Come down to General Assembly and meet us, and plan an action together.
She saw it on Tuesday at 7:16, and now it is Sunday night, and she still has not responded, so i feel safe in deleting her request and moving on.

-Zot, one of the admins for Occupy Gainesville.

zotlynn
Sent this tonight to

Sent this tonight to requester James McGary. His computer saw it at 1:14am, but of course that doesn't mean he did.
hi James. i am one of the moderators at Occupy Gainesville, where you asked to join. i looked at your page and saw no old posts, zero personal details, few friends, and lots of election advocacy. i am going to need to hear more about and from you before we let you join our page. i am going to need you to promise not to post advocacy for your favorite candidates to our page, for it is a non-electoral page. If you are still interested, please write me back. i also ask you to read this recent post:
Recently a moderator removed a campaign message from this page. We'll do it again. Occupy Gainesville is orthagonal to elections*. We are political in refreshing ways. There is nothing refreshing about (yawn) yet one more electoral campaign. We encourage civil engagement, and emphasize the creative, surprising, artistic, and unprecedented. Please honor and respect our horizontal, homegrown, pro-solidarity quality. We discourage hero worship and begging others to act via candidates, when we could act ourselves, and do the same thing more efficiently via We The People. Occupy Gainesville (OG) has never backed a candidate or party and never will. We will tolerate encouragement to vote, but that is never central to what we do, and never will be. We will tolerate encouragement to not vote, but that is never central to what we do, and never will be. We will more than tolerate innovative ways to alter the mess we find ourselves in; as we have proven and will again, we will add to the innovative way and work on it as a group.
If you want to take ideas from OG or other Occupy groups and apply them in the electoral realm, by all means, have at it; we sincerely wish you luck, and it is yet another way we influence. But once you enter the electoral arena with the gladiators and lions, stop posting and typing about it here, please. Don't bother trying to convince us that one circus animal is better than another.
Vision is better than follow-the-leader, and your vision is better than any candidate's. Inspire us. If you like or dislike something an elected official is doing or not doing, please discuss it here - in a form unrelated to their campaign for re-election. If you like an idea that comes from someone who is not yet an elected official but is striving to become one, please discuss it here - in a form unrelated to their election campaign. Try a search engine for another link that explicates the good idea, a link that isn't trying to sell us a candidate. If you can't find such a link, make your own or just describe the good idea to us, for we are ready to listen. We can tolerate a bit of contamination, but you can tell as well as we can when something stinks of electioneering.
We camped out on the Plaza, and they locked the bathrooms for the night. We had to find somewhere else to pee and shit. We and you, as members, got creative and can get creative again. Take inspiration from us and find somewhere else to dump your electioneering. i promise you that there are lots of other places that are not locked.
If you find yourself in a partisan debate on our page, you always have the option to just stop. Inviting your debate opponent into another arena, away from our ebullient creative work, is also always an option. If you have forgotten what we are about, you can refer back to
http://occupywallstreet.net/…/declaration-occupation-new-yo…
This policy is up for discussion. It is even up for alteration. It is NOT up for alteration from online pages, ONLY from General Assembly. We invite you to General Assembly, and we mean it. Come in person and be welcomed. Unlike in the offices of elected officials, you WILL be listened to among us. If you want to shape or alter OG policy, as always you are welcome to - using our proven method of being convincing enough at General Assembly to gain consensus by all present. It's an inspiring method, an inclusive method, a method that respects all minorities and minority opinions, a gift to other groups they can adopt and use, and it isn't voting. We arrived at this policy via consensus at GAs, and if we ever change it, it will be only via consensus at GAs, and via no other method. It's okay to argue it here (that's one of the reasons we have a discussion group), but that will NOT directly lead to any change. This abrasive characterization of this policy is by me, Zot, but the policy is by us, Occupy Gainesville.
*By orthagonal, i mean perpendicular, at a right angle, neither directly in line with nor directly opposed, but instead striking out in a new direction.